LION’S HEAD CHINESE MEATBALLS
1 lb of ground pork
½ cup of breadcrumbs
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons cooking wine (or mirin)
¼ cup green onions (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
½ tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
FOR SWEET SAUCE:
¼ cup of soy sauce
¼ cup of chicken broth
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of sesame oil ½ tablespoon of flour
MAKE THE MEATBALLS:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pork with breadcrumbs, eggs, cooking wine, green onions, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well until uniform in consistency.
- Divide pork mixture into 5 equal pieces and roll into meatballs with your hands. Wear disposable gloves when handing meat to avoid contamination.
- Cook the meatballs in the air fryer or oven.
- In the air fryer: Place meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer and cook at 375F for 20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 160F when measured on a meat thermometer. Set aside.
- In the oven: Place meatballs in a parchment-lined quarter sheet baking pan and cook in a 375 preheated oven for 40 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 160F when measured on a meat thermometer. Set aside.
MAKE THE SWEET SOY SAUCE:
- In a small mixing bowl, add soy sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, sesame oil and flour. Whisk well to combine until flour and sugar dissolves.
- Transfer the sauce into a shallow saucepan and heat over medium for 3-4 minutes. Continuously stir until desired consistency is reached.
- Add meatballs to the saucepan and toss well to coat evenly. Garnish with green onions and serve warm with a bowl of steamed rice, and drizzle any extra sauce from the pan on top.