1 teaspoon roasted ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 small Russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
11/2 cups frozen peas
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 green chilis, finely chopped
1 ½ cups chadon beni, leaves washed and chopped
1 lime, juiced plus more to taste
Kosher salt to taste
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons chaat masala
- For the chaat masala: Combine the cumin, kala namak, chile powder, black pepper and salt in a storage container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cover the potatoes with cold water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and cook until tender for 30 minutes. Add the peas to the same water and cook until bright green and tender. Drain, remove the potatoes to a plate to cool and transfer the peas to the bowl of a food processor.
- For the filling: Add the ginger, sugar, 1 green chili, 1/2 cup cilantro, juice from half the lime, 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the peas in the food processor and process in spurts until a rather coarse paste. Remove half the paste for the filling. Then make the chutney for serving: Add 2 tablespoons water, the remaining chilies, chadon beni and lime juice to the food processor and pulse until it has the consistency of a fine pesto. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the peels and transfer to a large bowl. Mash the potatoes. Add 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 1 1/2 teaspoons chaat masala and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix well and adjust seasoning to taste with salt.
- Divide the potato mixture into approximately 12 equal-sized pieces. Roll into balls and then make an indentation in the center. Spoon about 1/2 tablespoon of the reserved pea mixture into the indent and gently close the edges together to seal. Roll into a ball again and flatten into a patty about 1/2-inch-thick. Repeat with rest of the balls and filling.
- Add the remaining breadcrumbs on a plate or shallow bowl. Press both sides of each patty into the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the patties in single layer batch, evenly spaced out. Fry until you get a nice golden crust, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove to paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with more oil and the remaining patties. Serve hot with chutney.
|Creamer Potatoes White Per Lb
|El Valle Frozen Green Pigeon Peas 14oz
|Chadon beni per lb
|Ginger Imported Perlb Tray Pack
|Limes Small 10CT Bag
|Badia ground cumin 2oz
|Mc Cormick Chili Powder 70g